10 X 10- Glass Fusing - Project Class

Saturday 8/25 class is full, Monday 8/27 has 2 seats open

About this Event
10 X 10- Fusing - Project Class
We will be using COE 90

We will be discussing:
• “Know Your Glass” and understanding what the term COE means, and how important this is.
• A basic discussion of how glass is fired
• What is Frit, Powered Frit, Stringers
• Necessary Safety gear (mask and goggles).
• Glass cutting
• Why bubbles happen and how to lessen, or make more bubbles
• Glass will be hand cut and grinder will be available

Each student will be given a piece of 10 x 10 clear glass as a base to build their project on. We will provide an assortment of broken colored glass. Students will be hand cutting, nipping, and grinding to build their 10x10 project.

We will be loading the prepared 10x10 projects into the large kiln in the metal shop. Due to its size more than 1 classes will be loaded into this kiln. Firing date will be determined at a later date, but within a couple of days of the class. Firing usually takes 12-15 hours to complete and cool.

5 Likes

Would it be possible to make the 10x10 base into a circle?

Sure. A circle is just a “square” with an infinite number of equal sides!:wink: If it will fit within a 10" x 10" square perimeter and not sure on height, should be good to go

Haha true true. I meant more for the class in general. I can’t imagine why a round base versus square would matter but I thought I’d check.

I am sorry, we will be working with a 10x10 clear precut square base. Most of our cutting equipment is packed up until we move into our space.

Anita Willis

1 Like